View Single Post
Old May 28, 2011, 08:41 PM   #16
Technosavant

Quote:
There isn't a clay target out there in any of the games that can't be broken with a light 7/8oz load running no more than 1200 fps. In fact, a nice 12 gauge 3/4oz load works well in O/U for all but the furthest targets in FITASC
This. I run a pretty light 7/8 ounce load (about 16.3 grains or so of Clay Dot, IIRC). In my Citori it is very easy on the shooter. It isn't just that you aren't inflicting a flinch, but that if you are shooting more than 2-3 rounds, lighter loads are FAR less fatiguing. I get more exhausted shooting 2 rounds of skeet with 1 1/8 ounce loads moving at 1200fps out of my automatic than I get shooting four rounds of my load out of my O/U.

Lighter loads are also more economical- chopping a quarter ounce off the payload means that increasingly more expensive bag of magnum shot goes a bit further. Ditto a few grains less of powder. We aren't talking a huge amount, but if you're shooting a bunch, it DOES add up.

IMO, there's not much point in reloading if you aren't using light loads. The full power loads can be had for not much at all, and there's no worries about collecting hulls or spending time on the press. If you want to go lighter, though, you almost have to reload- finding commercially produced light loads can run at least $7/box, if not closer to $10.

Page generated in 0.03785 seconds with 8 queries