View Single Post
Old October 1, 2010, 11:07 PM   #15
DrMobius

Hoppe's #9 solvent and Rem Oil

I used the Hoppe's #9 solvent and followed up with Remington Rem Oil to clean a pistol, following the guidance of this excellent educational video:

http://www.wonderhowto.com/how-to-cl...pistol-274629/

Check out 4:44 where he puts the gun oil directly onto his fingers, so he can rub it into the gun metal with his bare hands. I thought this video really helped me to clean a gun, as I had little experience in that area but still wanted to clean my gun. I would recommend it to anyone, but I would recommend avoiding such high levels of exposure to organic solvents.

Hours later and the stuff just doesn't seem to wash off. I still smell the stuff on my hands.

These chemicals seem to be absorbed through the skin, leaving the liver to try and metabolize them. That is probably a risk factor for liver cancer.

Sure, cleaning your gun is fun, but I will be getting nitrile gloves for my next gun cleaning, and I think maybe the Playtex Living Gloves, which tend to fit really tight, underneath the nitrile gloves. I want an effective barrier to the stuff.

This gun cleaning business would appear to expose the gun cleaner to some pretty toxic stuff. I think some of the chemicals are also likely to be toxic to your white blood cells, which could lead to "blood cancer" like leukemia.

What do you think?

Page generated in 0.03167 seconds with 8 queries