View Single Post
Old December 29, 2012, 11:16 PM   #5
Sevens

It's been my experience that it depends more on the powder than anything. After that, it depends on the measure. Then comes technique -- you seriously have to do it a particular way. Really, any way will work, as long as you repeat that method to the letter. Metering charges in to waiting brass in a load block gives you the most chance to repeat the same motions in a rhythm so that you are doing the exact same thing every time.

Another trick to getting a consistent charge is to take advantage of what you have. When I used my Hornady, before I changed measures, some powders simply worked better when I yanked the smaller diameter pistol device and replaced it with the much larger diameter rifle unit. And I'm talking handgun powders and handgun charges here.

With the Lyman 55 I use now, I use the large drum when metering large charges rather than sliding out the medium sized slider. I rarely touch the ultra-fine slider at all no matter what I'm doing.

If you are measuring something that is extremely difficult to measure (extruded, long grain rifle powder, for example) then there's likely to be a mechanical limit to how well you can do.

Because the lion's share of my handloading is for handguns, I've chosen a large bevy of powders that perform for me and are also metering-friendly. Leave your Unique and IMR-800X at the door, please. I run Power Pistol, Hodgdon Universal, Alliant 2400, and all of these are literally within less than a tenth-grain every single time I check, re-check and triple-check my work. Grab any of the Accurate numbered handgun powders and it's almost impossible to screw it up, they meter SO well.

In closing... I not only trust my Lyman 55, it's my favorite tool of anything I've got at the load bench. Really. It's the single piece I absolutely wouldn't give up.

Page generated in 0.02596 seconds with 8 queries