View Single Post
Old December 19, 2014, 07:18 AM   #42
MrBorland

Quote:
Originally Posted by crane550
I know many very experienced shooters that still flinch, and the best shots that I personally know have all told me it took years to kick, and they still have to be careful about it.
And this speaks to the importance of not adopting a flinch in the first place, and the importance of minimizing even the risk that you'll adopt one. Ideally, you'd get instruction and lots of range time in with a .22, but if you're going to reload for your .270 instead, I'd strongly urge you to start with low-power loads. There's a lot written on that topic. Better yet, get a set of .223 dies. Or buy a .22.

Quote:
Originally Posted by crane550
I think most of it just has to do with knowing exactly when the gun will go off, and not tensing up before due to it...I'm certainly not gun shy, there isn't anything out there I would refuse to shoot (well, there might be exceptions) but for the most part I'm perfectly comfortable firing a gun. It's just a human tendency to tighten up as you pull the trigger and it simply takes practice.
Some flinch is anticipation of recoil and muzzle blast. But the most insidious flinch comes from simply wanting to make a good shot. IOW, making the gun do something by seeing a good sight picture and yanking that trigger...now!! So, no matter how comfy you are shooting a rifle, this can still bite you. It can be subtle (or not), so be aware of it.

Keep this in mind: The target doesn't matter. It's merely a recording device that records how well you executed the fundamentals and/or how badly you flinched. Execute the fundamentals well, and the target will take care of itself. Remember this for every shot.

Good luck!

Page generated in 0.03735 seconds with 8 queries