Thread: Compound bows
View Single Post
Old November 1, 2011, 09:14 AM   #22
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

For broadheads, in the fixed blade realm, Slick Tricks are unbeatable. They are accurate beyond a level that I would have ever thought possible. Far, far more accurate than 99.9% of shooters (including me) will ever be.

For mechanicals, I like the Hypershock line by Aftershock. We have had very good luck with them. They open on the inward side of the ribs after penetrating and this dramatically increases penetration.

The thing with mechanicals is that you want something with a big cut, or what's the point? Why bother with an 1 1/4- 1 1/2 mechanical when you can get a Grizz Trick within tiny fractions of that size and have no worries about mechanical failures and still have tack driving accuracy?

So, the problem with mechanicals is that you have to have enough energy to penetrate the animal with that big of a hole. You really need to find out what your bow shoots. If you're not getting at least 55 ft/lbs, don't bother with mechanicals. You'd need to go smaller to get the penetration and, like I said, what's the point in small mechanicals when there are equal size fixed blades that shoot just as well or better?

If your bow generates upwards of 65 ft/lbs, the mighty Rage is a real killer. You really, REALLY need to make sure you've got enough energy for the Rage and you REALLY need to not hit heavy bone. I don't recommend them for those reasons, but they certainly kill a lot of deer.

Don't worry about the "traditional" argument. It's silly beyond belief. There's always something MORE traditional. How many of these guys are handcrafting their own broadheads? How many build their own bows? After all, that's how it was "traditionally" done. Oh wait, "traditionally", there were no bows. We had to use spears first.... except, there were no spears before that either.... Now the compound bow guys are arguing about crossbows not being "real" archery equipment. What a stupid thing to argue about.

Page generated in 0.02875 seconds with 8 queries