View Single Post
Old February 24, 2014, 09:48 AM   #13
carguychris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt Sherrill
The only times I've heard bad things about Makarovs, its been associated with the double-stack models. (Weren't they only made by the Soviets?)
AFAIK the only double-stack Maks commonly seen stateside are commercial models made in Russia after the fall of the Soviet Union. These were usually labeled IJ-70-18AH or -17AH and were sold under a wide variety of brand names, including IMEZ, Izhmash, Baikal, Big Bear Arms, and KBI. Every one I've seen had the black rubber grips and the large screw-adjustable rear sight generally seen on commercial Maks. (Only a handful of commercial Maks had the military-style drift-adjustable blade rear sight, and the only ones I've seen have been single-stack.)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt Sherrill
That said, all double stack mags merge two columns into one -- apparently the way they did the Makarov wasn't as well done as some.
The double-stack Mak doesn't merge the two columns at the top like most autoloaders. The columns merge several rounds below the top, giving the magazine a rear profile similar to a wine bottle shape; I don't know the technical term for this. I'm told this was done so that the standard trigger drawbar could be used.

Page generated in 0.02359 seconds with 8 queries