View Single Post
Old September 11, 2009, 11:03 AM   #29
rantingredneck

I was raised by my grandparents.

My grandfather served in WWII (Navy) and Korea (Army). He was an easy going fellow who didn't get riled very often but when he did, he could handle himself. He did some boxing during his Navy years.

I remember in my teens and early 20's when I was heavily into martial arts I would get home from the dojo and start play boxing with him. He could cover up and hit me at the same time, not hard, more like open hand touches. I could not do the same with him. I had fast hands. His were much faster.

He spent his working life after the military as a pipeline construction superintendant. His hands were hard and he didn't work behind a desk. He finally retired for good in his early 70's. Cancer and time caught up with him at 77. I remember one of his doctors in the hospital when he was admitted asking me his age. I told him 77, and he said, "Did I understand that the man on the gurney in front of me is only 3 years shy of his 80th birthday?" I said, "Yes." He replied, "He's in damn fine shape for someone of his age, look at the muscle tone and mass he's retained." I said, "Yeah he's a tough one alright." And I meant it.........

PCCA Member (What's PCCA you ask? <- Check the link)

Page generated in 0.03534 seconds with 8 queries