View Single Post
Old February 10, 2001, 10:19 AM   #27
Johnny Guest
Moderator in Memoriam

We're discussing SPORTING stuff, here.

Friends, I'm at a loss about the last three replies in this topis string.

All three discuss the killing of white tail deer with clearly inadequate and unsporting gear. CAN a deer be killed with a .22 rinfire or a .32? Sure. So what. And, if I were a native American way out in the wilds and my kids were hungry, I would use such, if that was the difference in them having meat or not.

I am heartened to note that all three strate that they, personally, advocate the use of something a LOT more sporting for the deer hunt: .45 Colt, .44 or .41 Magnum.

I must respectfully disagree with the parallel of adequate for man = adequate for deer. In rifles, this could be arguable, the .30 USCarbine and .223 aside. In handguns, define adequate and we can begin the discussion. I've been out and around with nothing but a .32 or .25 for sole armament. Make no mistake: I did NOT consider either adequate
to stop a determined attack by a motivated adversary. Butit make me feel better. I believe in the largest defense piece paractical under the circumstances. But l am convinced that the majority of crooks will give up their attack on me if hit with ANYHING. If he runs away, I have accomplished my end.

The deer is not so cooperative. he doesn't lie down and become venison simply because he is smote a mild blow.

Best regards,
Johnny
MOLON LABE!

Page generated in 0.02983 seconds with 8 queries