View Single Post
Old March 16, 2013, 11:13 PM   #13
stmichps

Quote:
I looked at a CZ75BD recently and had a question about it compared to a 75B. I believe the difference is the BD has a decocker with no safety, and the B has a safety. The store owner stated that the decocker is the safety mechanism. I am not too sure about that claim.

I am not interested in concealed carry, and more interested in safe handling and shooting at the range.

What are your recommendations regarding having a safety, a decocker, etc.? Any any good recommendations on full size 9mm pistols? I have looked at the CZ75BD, Beretta M9, Springfield, the XD. Interested in heavier for less recoil.

Thanks,
Ted
I have a CZ 75 BD that I use for conceal carry and I just love it! I have always wanted a CZ 75 for it's double-action and legendary (proven) reliability but have been concerned with the "cock and lock" safety seeing that I"ve have had a incident some years ago with a 1911 and haven't trust the "cock and lock" thumb safety pretty much ever since.

I also don't like the idea of trying to let the hammer down on a loaded chamber seeing that you have your finger on the trigger and at the same time you're trying to let the hammer down with your thumb. What do you think will happen if the hammer slips from under your thumb with your finger on the trigger?

While a decock is much safer in lowering the hammer to the "half-cock position then your thumb, it is in no way a safety. The guy who is trying to tell you that the decock "IS" the safety doesn't know much about firearms. All the decock does is safetly lowers the hammer to the half-cock position, a safety "blocks" the mechanism from being able to move (generally the sear) to prevent the free fall of the hammer or striker. You might want to find either someone at this gun shop that you're going too that has knowledge about the firearms that they're selling or find another gun shop.

Last edited by stmichps; March 16, 2013 at 11:21 PM.

Page generated in 0.02636 seconds with 8 queries