View Single Post
Old November 10, 2012, 05:21 PM   #30
Slamfire

Quote:
• Base a reload’s accuracy by the smallest few-shot test group shot claim the components, tools and techniques used to do that are what should be used and done. Doesn’t matter what the size of the largest group was ‘cause they’re believers that tiniest means most accurate as far as groups are concerned.
I love the subtle sarcasm in that statement. Maybe that is why there are so many internet claims of sub MOA rack Garands. The shooter shoots enough five shots groups till one comes out ½”. The stack of 4 MOA targets are simply thrown in the trash!

I shot a small bore prone match today, got to have lunch with a Wimbleton Cup Winner and I asked about sizing dies. First of all, everyone we know full length sizes their match brass. Match shooters are competing against a clock, typically 20 rounds for record in 20 minutes. When shooting period is over, and you have not fired your 20 rounds, you earn a big fat “0” for each unfired shot which is equal to 10 points per dropped shot. Considering the best shooters drop maybe two-three points, and the match winner is going to shoot a 199 or 200, losing 10 points guarantees a saturated crying towel.

Long range shooters must have reliable, safe and accurate ammunition. Having to break position, find a cleaning rod, and knock out a stuck case is very bad. You don’t get extra sighting sights once you are in your record period, changing position will change point of impact, the wind will have changed (always) and this is not obvious to some, when the wind changes, so does the point of impact. You shoot as fast as you can before conditions change and you pray the conditions come back soon.

I did learn that many of the best shooters are using bushing type dies.

Last edited by Slamfire; November 10, 2012 at 06:50 PM.

Page generated in 0.02413 seconds with 8 queries