View Single Post
Old January 7, 2007, 03:50 AM   #2
Buckythebrewer

Anything pre-fired in a chamber and then neck sized will Have a much greater resistance to head-case seperation because of the tighter fit in chamber..Im not sure on the other stuff.I think belted magnums have the biggest chance of failure from what ive read and you have to check the brass often in
magnums like the 300Winchester mag(near the belt I believe)..I wouldn't think a rimmed case would be much different than a rimless but I might be wrong..
Not having your dies adjusted properly can create the biggest headspacing problems(getting your shoulder bumped back just enough and not to much).Adjusting the dies so you get your ammo sized to the minimum that still gives you safe operation is best(for semi's like the ar15).I would mostly always use a collet neck sizing die to eliminate headspace issues if I had a BOLT action.Brass will last longer too
Just some thoughts.Im sure someone with more knowledge will comment on this subject.

Well actually when I think about it ,I think a rimmed cartridge would do better because your firing pin cannot force your case forward(because of the rim).That would keep your brass from being forced to flow backwards,forcing the head of the case to stretch to the bolt face(like in a rimless cartridge)..That makes sence to me anyways

Page generated in 0.02564 seconds with 8 queries