View Single Post
Old November 3, 2000, 12:35 AM   #17
alan

RAE:

I had used 5.2 grains of Unique in both a Browning Hi-Power and a Star Model 30M (the all steel model), with no noticeable problems. Also, I was using a real mess of brass, military,, including some of the WW2 Canadian brass, as well as commercial.

Muzzle velocity, as I recall was generally 1125 to 1150 f/s, bullets were hard cast lead, 125 grain, sized .357" dia. Actually, the 10 twist barrel usually found in 9mm pistols is not that great, accuracy wise, with lead.

If memory serves, some years ago, Smith and Wesson changed their 9mm rifling twist from 10 to 18.75, standard for 38 caliber. Lead bullet accuracy improved greatly, with group size reduced by something like 60% or so, as I recall.

Re compressed charges, I once pulled down some Lake City, 7.62mm Match Ammunition, otherewise known as .308 Win. There was 41.5 grains or so of a stick powder, looked like 4895, but who really knows. When I reseated the original bullets to original overall length, you could both feel and hear the powder "crunching". The ammunition shot quite well, both "before and afterward".

[This message has been edited by alan (edited November 03, 2000).]

Page generated in 0.03133 seconds with 8 queries