View Single Post
Old March 15, 2005, 07:31 AM   #11
LAK

I think planning applies to various degrees. In it's most effective form it is based on scenarios with limited variables. In anycase it can be considered at least a basic starting point.

To condense this we can take it to a reasonable theoretical minimum. Say I live alone in a single story brick house with a couple of bedrooms, livingroom, kitchen etc, x-number of windows all of which have strong steel shutters I keep closed and locked at night, and two doors. The front and back doors are heavy wood, mounted in strong frames but represent the easiest points of forced entry. The plan concerns, "I am awoken by someone forcing their way in the front or back door". There are variables; but my basic plan might be to make ready, barricade in bedroom, phone and wait - while looking down the sights. Some unlikely variables may require an adjustment during an actual confrontation, but the likely variables are not going to change the success probability of the basic plan significantly.

However, it becomes far more complex when it is, "I come home, unlock the front door, and stepping inside I close the door and lock it. As I turn to hang up my coat there is a man standing across the livingroom with a shotgun pointed at my face."

But there are some general rules and practices that can be incorporated into baseline planning and training; factors that might apply to many or any human confrontation. Developing planning and training stimulates and orientates the mind on these matters which is useful in itself, and this might well aid some useful "thinking on the fly".

Where planning might end; mindset combined with training might continue.

Page generated in 0.02277 seconds with 8 queries