View Single Post
Old January 30, 2005, 08:05 PM   #3
Johnny Guest
Moderator in Memoriam

Welcome to reloading!

guntec, let's see if I can answer at least part of your questions.

The RCBS lube pad is used to lubricate cases prior to sizing. You'll need a little tube or bottle of the lubricant - - That's case lube, not bullet lube. I've gone over to using Dillon or One Shot case lubricant -- neater and less sticky -- but the thick stuff on a pad is still a workable procedure.

The Lee dies are probably "carbide" dies- - Lee commonly uses aluminum in non-stress areas,and they normally work well. The "carbide" deal is really just a little ring of metal inside the sizing die, very slick and extremely hard. I don't know if Lee dies are marked "carbide" or "carb."

The .223 dies are normally a two die set, as are most dies for bottle neck cartridges. Straight sided cases need the third die, though. You'lll need a seat/crimp die for your .44 set. A call to RCBS will obtain you one, and they normally give pretty speedy service. Dunno the priice, though. Check on this without ordering. It's possible you can find another entire set of used dies at a gun show for less than the price of the single die plus shipping from Oroville, CA. An aside - - While it is possible to do both inthe same operation, most cartridges are better seated and crimlped in separate operations.

The three "blued screws" are bullet seating stems. Normally, two per pistol caliber are sufficient - - for round nose and for semiwadcutter shapes. I can't tell their particular size from your photos. They could easily be for any of the handgun cartridge dies.

You have three shell holders. Easy enough to check by fitting a case into them.

Useful to know, if/when you start loading other calibers, many shell holders are interechangeable between calibers. The upper left one, stamped "3", IF it is RCBS brand, fits the entire .30'06 family of cartridges: .30'06, .25-06, .308, .243, 7mm-08, .45 ACP, .270, .250 Sav, 300 Sav, .358 Win, .35 Whelen, and, depending on brand of brass, quite possibly .257 Roberts, 7 x 57mm, 7.92 x 57 (8 mm Mauser,) 9.3 x 62, and probably others. .223 Remington uses the same shell holder as .380 ACP.

The "washers" you mention-- They both appear to be spare locking rings for the die bodies, to keep the dies firmly in place, or to maintain the position of the lower ring, so that the exact adjustment will not be lost when the die is removed from the press. I'm pretty certain the one with the flats is such an item. Are both threaded on the inside? If not, the smooth one may be a special spacer ring, machined to exactly allow for the 0.135" difference in length between the .38 Special and .357 magnum, and also the .44 Spl and .44 mag cases.

The single yellow dipper is probably the one that came with the Lee 9 x 19 mm dies. I don''t have a chart by colors. It is probably marked with a number, and Lee prints a guide telling how much of various popular pistol powders it will hold.

Bench space? You can grow into however much space you allow.
For just basic metallic loading with a single stage press, you can do well with perhaps three feet by two feet, especially if you have some shelf space above the work surface. You need a place for your loading blocks to hold at least 50 cases, a powder scale, and hopefully a powder measure. If you go to loading the .223, you'll want some sort of case trimming arrangement, but this need not be ermanently mounted on the bench.

An utter "MUST" is at least one comprehensive handloading manual, and preferably two or more. As you have internet access, you can cross check loading data from several different web sites. Please, READ the entire text about loading before you ever assemble your first round of any kind of ammo.

I've become sidetracked a couple of times and have been writing on this reply for at least three hours. Looks as if K9 Big Dog has already given you some good information, but I'll go ahead and post this anyhow

Best of luck to you--
Johnny

Page generated in 0.02381 seconds with 8 queries