View Single Post
Old September 7, 2012, 10:34 PM   #10
Lost Sheep

Good advice above, so I will not duplicate them but for one that bears repeating.

The alignment of the 1) cavity with the drop opening from the hopper into the cavity and from the 2) cavity into the drop opening into the case is vital. If they are not lined up in the first case, you may not be filling the cavity completely (having a void in one corner of the disk cavity). If they are not lined up in the second case, some powder may be left on the "ledge" (this is more critical with the larger diameter cavities, of course).

Take the powder hopper completely off the auto-disk and check the movement of the disk to clearly and easily see if the disk cavity lines up with the drop into the case. Note the position of the front of the disk. Then with the hopper in place, see that the front of the disk comes all the way to that point.

So much for repeating one of the ideas already voiced.

If you decide to eschew the auto-disk, the next most convenient and productive option is to put the funnel adapter back on the die and use a calibrated powder dipper or scoop to drop powder charges. You can even weigh them individually (if you feel you must) before dumping them into the case, which will be much more efficient than the method you described in your original post.

The Lee Funnel is sized to slip easily and securely into the funnel adapter and only costs $4. I have an RCBS funnel that was just a little oversized (but a judicious use of sandpaper can take care of that).

Other power measures can be adapted to fit the Lee die, but some artful design and machining must be done to make a mount that will work and the automatic dump of powder is often problematic. Frankly, I would disconnect the Lee's actuating lever and operate the disk movement by hand before going that route.

Lost Sheep

Page generated in 0.02906 seconds with 8 queries