View Single Post
Old December 1, 1998, 01:53 PM   #2
Harry Humphries
Staff Alumnus

I'm back so don't pay the ransom!! I hope you all are aware that my schedule will sometimes cause long silent periods from my side, but that should not be construed as lack of interest - quite the contrary as I see this forum as a quality act and intend to be as active as I can.

With respect to RB's question on weapons retention techniques concerning single point and three point slings, let me offer the following:

Wether the primary is fitted with a carry strap, three point tactical sling or a single point, quick release, sling harness, the most important function of the shooter is to deny access to the weapon from the perpetrator. This is obviously done by putting your body or obstacle between the weapon and the un-rusher as best you can and still maintain controlled muzzle orientation towards the attacking opponent. Thus the desirability of short barreled shoulder fired weapons in dynamic room entry and other close distance tactical situations (I know very experienced entry people who prefer to enter with their secondary, or hand gun in the number one position, myself included). Even though shortened barreled weapons tend to be less efficient with respect to ballistic potential of the round, who cares if the target is two feet away.

Once the inevitable occurs, that is the weapon is captured in a manner that takes the opponent out of line of fire - the free- for- all is on! Make no mistake about it you will either win or lose if you allow a wrestling match or tug- o- war to occur. There are several break away techniques that can be offered but they need to be taught properly. Some rules of thumb:
• If barrel is grabbed from the top - drop to a knee and take the shot rapidly as he can drop too if given time to adjust. One can simply circle the barrel towards the opponents thumb if in a one hand grab situation.

• If barrel is grabbed from under or under and over, simply pull the weapon into your chest and step, stock side, into the opponent ducking under opponents arms and take the shoulder throw. The leverage created with this maneuver will probably cause the release before the throw.

• If you are working against an opponent that knows a few things - he will parry and grasp the weapon to his outside -stepping around your strong side and grasp the shoulder /neck mounted sling in a choking manner as he pulls you rearward taking your balance - good night! In fact if you are in a three point sling which is typically slung over neck and shoulder - either strong or weak side through and an opponent simply captures the weapon and falls while twisting - you are dead meat as the choke is on.

• The Chalker quick release system allows the shooter to disengage from the weapon while pushing away from the opponent and presenting the secondary before the captured weapon can be orientated for the shot. Further - the Chalker sling can never be used as a choking garrote as it is a shoulder harness and does not come into neck contact. It can also be used to shoot strong and weak side without having to be remounted and does not interfere with head mounted gear or break the seal on your gas mask - a very bad thing!

By the way, there are imformative photos on our web site that cover some of these CQB retention issues.

Page generated in 0.03538 seconds with 8 queries