View Single Post
Old July 4, 2001, 03:31 PM   #20
jmstr

I had to make the same decision recently and I opted for the Baby Eagle 9mm. I have a Ruger P97 that fits and feels very good, and seems to have the same basic 'feel' as the P95 does, so the P95 was definitely in the running. I also tried out the CZ75 and LOVED the way it felt in my hand, except for one little detail: as has been mentioned, the trigger reach is a tad long. The CZ pointed better than a P95 [compared both in local shop] and the stock felt better in my hand-except for the DA trigger reach.

I was told not to worry, as the CZ75 can be carried 'cocked and locked' like a 1911, so I can just leave it in the SA mode safely. However, I am not used to cocked and locked, so the DA mode 'feels' better to me for first shots. As a result I bought the Magnum Research Baby Eagle 9mm. This pistol is an Israeli copy of the CZ [but about $100 more in California] with two exceptions: the trigger is not quite as sweet as the CZ out of the box [but, after a lot of polishing mine is VERY sweet now] and the frame is full-length under the slide-more like the CZ75 ISPC version. As a result of this it is a very stable shooter and very accurate. Oh, the Baby Eagle also has a Polygonal barrel instead of the land-and-groove barrel of the CZ.

The Baby Eagle is not as cheap, but I really am happy. This pistol is also sold under the names Uzi Eagle and Jericho 941. They are all the same: an Israeli Military Industries 9mm CZ clone. Actually, cdnninvestments has the Jericho 9mm Compact for sale in their current catalog for $279.99, or the 40cal version w/polymer frame for $329.99. I like mine so much I would order the Jericho Compact except I live in California. The Magnum Research brand version is legal here in that size, but the Jericho isn't: even though the only difference is a name stamped on the side of the slide and frame.

As everyone says, try them out in your hand and choose the one that fits your hand the best. Keep one other thing in mind. The P95 is a VERY reliable duty/self defense handgun. It is not as inherently accurate as the CZ design [whether it be a CZ, a Witness, or a Baby Eagle]. If you are thinking of future competition, the CZ-type is probably a better choice. If you are thinking recreational/self-defense firearm, the Ruger is a GREAT choice. Unless you live in a restricted state, the CZ and Ruger both have 15 round magazines and the Baby Eagle [full-sized] comes with either a 15 or 16 round magazine. If you are like me, in California, then it is 10 rounds for any of these.

Good luck and Good Shooting!

jms

Page generated in 0.02961 seconds with 8 queries