View Single Post
Old January 24, 2013, 03:30 PM   #17
MrBorland

Quote:
I have been hankering for a levergun for some time, especially in .35 cal. so I can use pistol bullets for plinking and small game. And yes, I am one of those weirdos who would do this with his deer rifle. Some on the Internet say you can blow up your rifle doing this... seems a dubious claim that no one seems to be able to re-create in a lab.
I think you're referring to a Secondary Explosive Effect. SEEs seems real enough, but not consistent enough to reproduce under controlled conditions. It's been associated with light rifle loads using slow powders, but without being able to reproduce it, the exact cause, AFAIK, is unknown, and why it remains only "associated" with some conditions.

For light loads, look, maybe into H4895 and it's "60% Rule". Or look into Trail Boss as a powder - very light and fluffy, so it'll fill the case better than other powders.

FWIW, I had a 336 .35Rem and sold it too - and also kicked myself afterward. The thing is, if I were to get another lever rifle for deer, I wouldn't obsess over replacing it, but just get a .30-30, or even a .45-70, the latter being very versatile if you reload. LeverEvolution bullets can extend the range of lever action rounds, too.

Page generated in 0.02449 seconds with 8 queries