View Single Post
Old January 22, 2013, 12:25 AM   #30
JohnKSa
Staff

Quote:
My point is, you fired two or three shots from one box of cartridges. How do you know that the next round won't fly off the paper?
There's no guarantee of that even if you fire 49 shots from one box. The next one could still go off the paper.

However, you are correct that the more ammo tested from a particular batch/box/lot/brand, the more confident that you can be that the results are actually representative of the ammunition in question.

These brands of ammo were all brands that I had shot before to establish that they are reasonably consistent. This group was to show that they all shot to the same point of aim and that they weren't significantly different in accuracy from each other. I actually fired several groups at the range that day using this method and all were pretty similar. Therefore, I only took a picture of this one.
Quote:
A ten round group will give you a better idea of what to expect from that box. Better still, fire several ten round groups to get the degree of relative accuracy.
And when you do this with reasonable quality factory ammunition, what sort of variance do you see from one box/brand of ammo to the other? I see very little. So little that the average shooter will never notice the difference. Not in accuracy nor in point of aim (as long as the same bullet weight is used and the power level is reasonably similar).

Page generated in 0.03377 seconds with 8 queries