View Single Post
Old February 6, 2010, 05:37 PM   #2551
FlyFish

DavidLaney -

Your Model 14 dates from 1966, and was known as the K-38 Target Masterpiece prior to the model numbering system that S&W started in 1957. It's the premier .38 Special target revolver and one of those guns that just about every S&W aficionado either has or wants. I have two of them, and they're the first revolvers that my wife and I take out of the safe when we're headed to the range. The "CTG" on the barrel is simply an abbreviation for "cartridge," as in ".38 Special Cartridge."

The 4" barrel is interesting. The vast majority of M14s came with 6" barrels, with some 8-3/8" made toward the end of the production run (M14s were discontinued in 1999). There was a very limited run of 4" barrels made in 1965, with the reported SN range of K623337 to K624496. It's possible that the SN range isn't quite correct, because the book does use the word "reported," and yours could be one of those (possible, but I think unlikely). It's also possible that your gun was a special order, or was fitted later with the 4" barrel, or had the original 6" barrel cut. If the latter, the engraving on the barrel should clearly appear uncentered (i.e. would be too close to the muzzle). The shape of the front sight (Patridge vs. ramped) would also be good to know. If you could post a picture that would be great.

Regardless, you've got a really nice revolver there - with the 4" barrel it's actually a bit more like a Model 15, which was essentially the same gun fitted with a 4" barrel and ramped instead of target (Patridge) sight configuration. It was called the K-38 Combat Masterpiece.

Page generated in 0.03487 seconds with 8 queries