Thread: Colt 1861 Navy
View Single Post
Old January 22, 2014, 04:29 AM   #44
Doc Hoy

Skipper...

That (15.00) is a good price and actually a person who really needs a new frame might be happy to pay 40.00 to 50.00.

Pietta won't fit everything but if a person knows it is right, your source is a good one.

I personally have never shot an arbor loose but I did have one loosen up due to a chain fire. The chamber just ccw of battery went off and smeared lead all over the barrel lug. I think it was a loose cap because I pinched them on that day, a practice which I vowed never to repeat.

I call that revolver my 666 Sheriff's model because I think it is haunted by the devil.

It is a brass frame .36 1851 pattern barrel in Sheriff's length from C.O.M. I bought it cheap. The first three shots I ever fired from it all went into a four inch tree at about 15 yards hand held. I can't shoot any other revolver I own like that (I am not much of a shot.) Then I took it to the range expecting to repeat the performance and couldn't get it as close. That was the day that my first and only chain fire ever took place. I was very careful with sealing the chambers. I know the bullets fit right. But I pinched the caps.

When I pulled the pistol apart the arbor was loose. I tightened it up as best I could be I never shot it again. When I tell the story, I always end by saying that the serial number is 666, but of course that is a stretch.

Page generated in 0.03618 seconds with 8 queries