View Single Post
Old January 7, 2011, 05:27 PM   #17
spookygeek

Quote:
This is one of the anti-firearms establishment's main arguments. "All guns start their life as a legal purchase" so the sales to lawful buyers must be restricted. It is a straw man argument and falls apart under scrutiny. They simply want to restrict all firearm sales, to all persons, under all circumstances while they claim that they are not trying to do so.
I think it may be worthwhile to explain my take on this issue. I am far from an expert and tend to be fairly middle of the road when it comes to politics.

I think the crux of the issue is what effective strategy exists to minimize the illegal buyers of firearms. Clearly I think there is room for discussion on improving measures that minimize the occurance of illegal gun transactions while at the same time preserving the right for lawful transactions. My concern is that your logic relies on the belief of a slippery slope - that any one action in a direction opposite from one extreme must inevitably lead to the other. While I concede that there any many anti-firearm groups that wish to abolish legal gun ownership, taking the stance that any regulation must be moving towards the same extreme ignores the existence of a middle ground.

For more reading (and yes I am a nerd):
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Slippery_slope

Page generated in 0.04788 seconds with 8 queries