View Single Post
Old March 18, 2013, 11:55 PM   #1
ScottRiqui

Anyone have some really NASTY brass they want cleaned?

I recently bought the STM stainless-steel pin tumbling system, and it's really blown me away - the brass comes out looking essentially like new, inside and out.

BUT, almost all of the brass I collect is the typical "fired once, swept up off a concrete floor and tossed in a barrel", so other than tarnish, dirt and carbon deposits, it really wasn't that bad to begin with.

So, I'm looking for a few people who are willing to send me some nasty, grody, neglected brass to test out in the tumbler. Stuff that's corroded, been left out in the sun, heavily tarnished - you get the idea.

I'll take "before" pictures, tumble it, take "after" pictures, write up a little review to post here in this thread, and then send it back to the owner.

The first two or three people who volunteer in this thread can PM me for my mailing address.

Here's what I have in mind:

1) Dump the brass (2-4 pounds max, please) into a U.S. Postal Service "Flat Rate" box. You pay to ship it to me, and I'll pay to ship it back. I'll have it tumbled and back in the mail within a week of receiving it, probably sooner.

2) Mixed calibers are fine (preferred, even), but I'd appreciate it if for the most part, the cases don't easily "nest" inside one another (like 9mm and .40 S&W).

3) Likewise, I'd appreciate it if not all of the cases are absolutely packed with mud/rocks/small animal bones/etc. A few like that are fine though, because I'm curious to see how the tumbler will handle them.

4) I'll deprime it before tumbling if I have a shell holder that fits it and if the case isn't packed with debris. I have a dedicated decapping die, so there won't be any sizing done that might scratch up the dirty brass.

5) I'll be using the standard tumbling recipe (five pounds of pins, two pounds of brass per batch, 1-2 tablespoons of Dawn dishwashing soap and 1/4-teaspoon of Lemishine), so it should be safe for the brass, but I make no guarantees as to the brass being suitable for reloading afterward. Heavy corrosion means that there's likely been at least some metal loss, and tumbling won't put that back. Likewise, cases that are cracked, split or bulged will still be cracked, split or bulged afterward. Also, I don't know what pin-tumbling does to lacquer or other case coatings.

So, anyone want to participate?

Page generated in 0.02740 seconds with 8 queries