View Single Post
Old January 15, 2007, 11:22 AM   #12
HSMITH

cheygriz, I have loaded tens upon tens of thousands of rounds of felix lube bullets on my 550's. It is a little messy, but not nearly as messy in the dies as Lee Liquid Alox.

I modified the mix early on, I used about 35% Mobil 1 synthetic grease and about a tablespoon of pure carnuba wax. It was really really soft, so I hardened it with parafin wax to the consistency of LBT Blue. The results were amazing, bores shine like brand new after several thousand rounds. The downside is the grease makes the gun slick after a couple hundred rounds, more so than with a normal soft lube. A quick wipe with a towel and all is well again. I shot over 20K rounds with a M19 without any cleaning at all other than a quick brush through the chambers and wiping down the exterior, no leading at ALL in the bore or cylinder.

Red Zambini works OK with VERY hard bullets and higher pressures for me. I wasn't impressed with it, but I only loaded one tube.

For all the people that don't think this is a good idea or woth the effort: Did you know most commercial lube is just parafin wax with a little dye in it? You hear all the complaints about lead bullets and barrel fouling, cleaning nightmares, poor performance and all of that. I assume this is the cause of your negative opinion in regards to lead bullets and home made lubes. I shoot thousands and thousands of lead bullets with NO leading, cleaning takes just minutes, accuracy is fantastic, and ammo costs are just a couple cents per round. That is hard to argue with. You can make bullet lube at home for just a few dollars that is worlds better than what you get on your commercial cast bullets.

Page generated in 0.02194 seconds with 8 queries