View Single Post
Old May 5, 2006, 08:25 PM   #39
tyme
Staff

Quote:
To think that the nation?s leaders are to set aside their own morality gleaned from their religion is totally unrealistic. One?s religion, and his dedication to it, defines who he is, and he cannot act contrary to it and be true. I am proud that GWB does not hide it.
The religious should be able to distinguish between moral precepts that have a social function and those that are entirely a subjective matter of their religion (like the "life" of a 1st-term embryo/fetus, or the propriety of homosexuality). If they cannot distinguish such things from traditional crimes (acts that do real harm to those who are already part of the social contract), they should be barred from public office.

As for this country being founded on Christianity, you are just plain wrong, and this has been pointed out numerous times on TFL and THR and I see no reason to rehash it in depth. Quite simply, some founders were Christian, and some were not, and those who were not did not sign on to the creation of a Christian nation.
“Who are you?” “A friend. I'm here to prevent you from making a mistake.” “You have no idea what I'm doing here, friend.” “In specific terms, no, but I swore an oath to protect the world...” (continuum)
“It's a goal you won't understand until later. Your job is to make sure he doesn't achieve the goal.” (bsg)

Page generated in 0.02139 seconds with 8 queries