View Single Post
Old June 8, 2014, 05:45 PM   #11
GJSchulze

Quote:
Congrats on the 525. I think the sns guy steered you right with the 147.I have found that heavier bullets with light charges that make whatever power factor you might need give a more controllable recoil signature that allows quicker follow up shots. You can make power for IDPA with a light enough charge that you will need to drop down to a 16# recoil spring to run the gun
My XDm 9mm 5.25 runs just fine with the factory spring at a power factor of 125, which is the minimum for both IDPA (SSP/ESP) and USPSA. I agree with you about the heavier bullet's recoil. The measured recoil is still the same, but the impulse (force/time) is less because the bullet is traveling slower, making the recoil less snappy. Strangely, there are a lot of people who disagree about recoil and heavier bullets, either because of their subjective experience or because they aren't taking into account that it applies only when the PF is the same.

ghbucky01, have you shot factory loads through the gun? If they don't cycle the slide, then something is wrong. As to your question about more shooting smoothing it out I have to say that it isn't necessary. Both because of my own experience and because a polymer gun doesn't have such tight tolerances between slide and frame. Try some factory ammo and get a slower powder if you can. If you don't have data for other powders, there are multiple sources on the Internet including the powder manufactures' website. I know Alliant will reply to an email with data.

Page generated in 0.03645 seconds with 8 queries