View Single Post
Old February 14, 2014, 08:54 AM   #8
Jack O'Conner

About 20 years ago, I had a smith build a custom 9.3mm rifle for me on a Winchester 670 action. The rifle was fitted with a 25 inch medium barrel along with MagnaPorting to eliminate muzzle jump. Recoil was not too awfully bad, about the same as an average sporter weight 30-06.

I hunted with a guide in Crook County, Wyoming for a 6 day elk hunt. We saw elk everyday but all were smaller than my quest. But the fifth morning, we located a very good bull and approached cautiously to close the distance. My first bullet struck into the chest organs from broadside at about 225 yards. My second bullet struck a little farther back because I rushed the shot. The bull staggered about 50 yards and collapsed. I hunted with Norma ammo. The elk weighed approx. 650 lbs.

After this elk hunt, I rec'd an offer that I couldn't refuse and sold it. I'm more of a deer hunter actually and this rifle was too long and heavy for my needs.

They say that the 35 Whelen is just as good but I have no first hand experience to share. My choice was the 9.3mm because of bullet weight and long reputation with African and Scandinavian hunters. Norma ammo is spendy but very accurate and dependable.

Good hunting to you.
Jack

Page generated in 0.02370 seconds with 8 queries