View Single Post
Old March 6, 2012, 10:14 AM   #5
KC Rob

1.5 seconds is an eternity. When I took the Defensive Handgun course at Front Sight as a relatively inexperienced self defense shooter (I had shot a lot, never trained for SD), we were told we would have to place 2 shots in the thoracic cavity and one in the ocular cavity from the holster from 7 yards in 1.5 seconds or less to pass the course. My jaw dropped, I thought I was going to fail for sure, but as the class progressed and my technique improved it became quite simple to do.

The targets were on motorized swivel stands, the instructors would set the time and then you would face the target, it would swivel to face you (no warning or buzzer), you would draw and fire, and it would swivel back when the time elapsed. At first, I struggled to get off my shots, even with 3 or 4 seconds sometimes, even shooting the wooden frame edge of the targets in desperation as it swiveled away from me a couple times, but soon it became second nature.

In fact, when I took my "final" to pass the course, I drew, fired my 3 shots, went to the low ready and began my after action drills, and noticed that the target had failed to swivel back. I remember thinking "Something is wrong with the target, I am going to have to do this over". Then, the target turned away, the instructor clapped me on the back and said good job, and I realized that I had slowed everything down in my brain so far that it seemed like 10+ seconds had passed, when in fact it had only been the allotted 1.5.

Granted, this is on a controlled range and does not reflect an actual self defense situation, but it is interesting to see how much you can actually do in such a short amount of time.

Page generated in 0.03511 seconds with 8 queries