View Single Post
Old July 15, 2015, 01:19 AM   #7
62coltnavy

The original Colt '62s were built on the '49 frame, cut down to accommodate the larger .36 caliber cylinder, and they were offered in two models, the Police (fluted chamber and round barrel) and Navy (Navy scene with octagonal barrel). These are smaller than the '51/'61 Navies, being only a five shot pistol. They were offered in 4.5", 5.5" and 6.5" barrel lengths, and still are today, although the shorter barrel lengths are pretty rare. I have a Navy with a 5.5" barrel (Uberti), and I should have picked up a 4.5" Police made by ASM when I saw it. Although I think it is a beautiful little gun, it is not all that well built. On arrival (new, unfired), it was very stiff to cock and did not index properly, and almost immediately the hand spring broke. I fixed the indexing issue and the hand spring, but I cannot lighten the hammer if I still want it to fire. My 1861 Pietta Navy (bought tuned) has no such issues.

Where are all the Piettas? I don't know. Ubertis are readily available, but steel framed Peittas are seemingly rare. I won't touch a brassy, which are everywhere. I spent a good long time trying to buy an 1873 SA Pietta with the Ruger style hand spring plunger and a transfer bar, finally scoring one a week ago on GunBroker. I specifically wanted the Pietta because its transfer bar is the same steel plate as the Ruger, while the Uberti seems rather flimsy (Horseman model only), and further, the case coloring on the Piettas is far superior.

Page generated in 0.02634 seconds with 8 queries