View Single Post
Old June 1, 2016, 05:19 PM   #17
Walt Sherrill

Quote:
Originally Posted by mete
Walt and Bill , this metallurgist says IF it's properly designed and made it shouldn't ever need a new spring ! Even back in my heavy shooting days I never replaced a recoil or magazine spring !
I did once replace aToyota valve spring. Of course it was defective , a fatigue failure .For that type of failure all you need is a little nick in the spring as the greatest forces are on the outside !
That's what others involved in this discussion have said -- folks, like you, who are familiar with the technology and the materials involved.

The only CHANGE to any of the variables in this discussion in recent years is the move to new (sub-compact) gun designs that are much smaller (with less room for spring material) or to guns with much higher-capacity mags. In both of those situations, the springs are asked to do more in less space with less material than once was the cvase. In SOME of those cases, the springs can't last as long.

For those of us who are shooting full-size guns and not keeping our very hi-cap mags fully loaded all the time, spring wear will probably not be a problem. (And as others have said, replacing a recoil spring or a mag spring isn't all that expensive or hard to do...)

Page generated in 0.02609 seconds with 8 queries