View Single Post
Old May 21, 2011, 07:31 PM   #1
wogpotter

Remington 1858. Replica Vs. original

Today I had my first change to actually see & handle a couple of original C&B revolvers.
An (actually 2) 1860 Colts & a Remington-Beales & I was surprised by the differences between the more modern replicas & the originals. Let me explain a little.

The Remington-Beales second model (1858) original as compared to the replica I own.
The "safety notches" were more rounded, softer edged & wider than those I have. The shields on the nipple cuts in the cylinder were totally different too. Not just wider but more tapered, almost rounded, & vastly easier to access with a capper. Maybe this is why replica Remington "1858 New Army" is difficult to use with a capper?

Now the (2) 1860 Colts....
One had a MUCH shallower front sight ( 1/16" tall, maybe) & NO & I mean NO rear sight notch in the hammer! Were these ever cut by the user from scratch? Some kind of zeroing process for user loads maybe? ( just guessing).
The second 1860 had a very shallow hammer notch & a slightly bigger ( taller) front sight blade. Is this just individual model-to-model variations or something else?

Sorry no pictures possible "No flash photography" museum rules applied .

Elderly Hunter: “That's dashed unsporting. Probably Belgium.”

Page generated in 0.03684 seconds with 8 queries