View Single Post
Old January 7, 2011, 09:40 AM   #6
horseman308

I got a punch set from Harbor Freight, one of which was within a few thousandths of an inch being big enough for my .44 Remmy, so I used my dremmel to open it up just a bit. I also bought a spool of felt weather stripping from Lowe's or Home Depot. Total cost of all that, about $10. $3 more for a tub of crisco.

Now, the felt is not nearly as nice a quality as Durofelt; it's much "looser" to the feel. But it absorbs melted crisco just fine, and I can probably get several hundred wads (or more) out of one spool of that stripping.

I should mention that I only had once chance to shoot it, and then I moved and haven't had time to get to another range. On the day I shot those wads for the first (and only) time, it was extremely humid, having just finished raining in June, and it was a swampy area in the woods (was on a woods walk). I did not notice any change in accuracy - I hit the same targets I would have expected to hit given my skill level. The big change was that the powder seemed to absorb a ton of moisture, because the charges did not feel nearly as powerful as usual (25 gr. FFFg). The amount of crisco my wads had absorbed was pretty high, maybe too high, but I don't know if it was that, the humidity, or the combination that affected the potency of the powder that day.

Page generated in 0.02928 seconds with 8 queries