View Single Post
Old June 17, 2005, 04:23 PM   #41
sm

Folks,

Reliability is based on a number of factors:

Design or platform is only one. I have seen single shots , O/U, SXS, Pumps, Semi's and the one the Great Pumpkin uses - fail.

Most folks overclean the stuff on any firearm that don't really need cleaning - and neglect to inspect and maintain the areas that are CRITICAL.

--Chambers and Extraction - These are THE two areas that cause the most seen malfunctions. Etched in Granite I swear.

Which begs the question " Do you know how to take care of chambers and extraction? Do you know how to inspect and maintain YOUR gun?

--Ammo, Ammo must be reliable in YOUR GUN. Not what the fellow shooting next to you is using, not what is on sale,not what momma, papa, brother, sister , Team Kumquat and for damn sure NOT what someone on the Internet 'says'. Does YOUR ammo Feed, Extract in YOUR Gun? Will it do so for 200 rds of testing without fail?

I have never understood why folks will spend monies on a firearm - especially a LOT of money on one - one especially to defend one's life, and put the lest inexpensive crap ammo in the gun and get all upset.

In the words spoken by Rosie Greer to Richard Pryor - whom was in the hospital suffering from burns due to freebasing - Whatcha Gonna Do?

Richard had to hit bottom, Richard had to find what worked for HIM, find it, practice it , and continue to use what FIT him.

I recently ran 500 rds of slugs thru a '74 SX1 with NO malfuntions in one day. without cleaning. Same gun I have run 2k rds in a week w/o cleaning.

I have run 3K rds of various loads - including ~ 750 rds of slugs/ buckshot thru a bone stock 870 Express.

I have run 1K rds of mixed loads of shot, buck and slugs thru 1100s in all 4 gauges. bunches of times over the years w/ no malfs, and w/o cleaning [ammo in 28 restricted to shot loads, .410 to shot and slugs of course.

I have too many times spent less than $500 for either myself / setting up a new shooter, and this included a shotgun, ammo, and lessons. A general purpose shotgun that worked -reliable, and the user had confidence in the gun and the ablity of skill do take on any and all tasks.

Truth is -

The smart person spends more money on ammo and training than the firearm itself.

Page generated in 0.02815 seconds with 8 queries