View Single Post
Old May 16, 2005, 09:50 PM   #6
Johnny Guest
Moderator in Memoriam

It may very well work.

I started loading .45 Colt on ACP dies a long time back.

I'll describe the process, presuming you have a single-stage press.

First you need the proper shell holder.

Much depends on the configuration of the dies. If the sizing die has a decapping pin, you must back the pin out quite a ways. You may need to remove it entirely, and deprime in a separate operation. If the sizer is not carbide, be certain to lubricate the cases. Doesn't hurt to do so anyway.

Bell the case mouth only enough to start the bullet.

Reprime the case. Charge with powder.

Do not install the seating die yet. Place the case in the shellholder and run the ram all the way up. Now back the seater stem all the way up. Thread the die into the press just until the case mouth starts to bind on the crimlping area. Back the die out a full turn and set the lock ring. Place a bullet in the case mouth and run the ram up. Now screw the seating stem down and, by trial and error, seat the bullet to the required depth.

Now you have an essentially loaded case, which needs crimping. Back the seating stem out and raise the ram all the way. Screw with die body in until the crimping area binds on the still-belled case mouth. Lower the ram slightly and screw the die body in a half turn. Run the ram up and inspect the results. This first attempt may be enough to remove the belling. Continue this process one-quarter to on-half turn at a time until the desired amount of crimp in attained.

Some ACP die sets which accomodate reloading of .45 Auto Rim cartridges have a real crimp shoulder that allows for a proper revolver-style crimp. Otherwise, you'll have to be satisfied with a taper crimp, which may be best if you're using FMJ bullets.

I have described loading a single cartridge. I assume you've been loading .45 ACP ammo. The only difference in processing the batches is that you'll need to readjust the seating die before crimping.

This procedure is a bit makeshift, but it works okay. If your wife likes to shoot the Vaquero a lot, you'll probably eventually want to get a set of .45 Colt dies, and some lead bullets. It CAN get a bit tiresome, adjusting the dies back and forth between ACP and Colt loading.

Good luck to you.
Johnny

Page generated in 0.11557 seconds with 8 queries