View Single Post
Old February 5, 2013, 10:19 AM   #19
F. Guffey

Mixed dates, but all HXP.

Decapped, cleaned in detergent (Dawn) and rinsed, citric acid bath and rinsed, then dried over night above furnace (90 to 100 degrees). Vibrated (Dillon 2000) in mostly walnut with some corn cob and rice treated with New Shine.

Lubed with Imperial wax. Some size in a Hornady FL die with excess force applied to the handle and some won't go at all. Same with an old RCBS trim die (which currently has a case stuck in it).

I've tried several cases, both dies (until the RCBS decided it wanted to keep the case, busted rim and all) in both Co-Ax and A2 presses.

Chris, I use a tumbler with corn ground up cob...and nothing. That method and or technique lessons my significance. I do not clean my dies with etc., etc.. I use something that is friendly to my dies, I use a towel on a dowel, meaning I was not having trouble with my dies the last time I used them and I do not want to do anything to change that, again, that lessons my significances. Others? I don’t know, seems there is always something outside their reach they would be better off without, degreaser? Back to cleaning my dies with a towel on a dowel. To some every question has a chemical answer.

A few years ago a collector/reloader/shooter sent me a set of 30/06 dies with a case stuck in the sizer die, same story, he started with “I cleaned the die with etc., etc..”. I removed the case, installed his die in my press and proceeded to size a box of cases, I stuck the first case, I then removed the stuck case and proceeded, I almost stuck 5 more cases before I had 20 cases sized. I started on another 20 cases, then like magic, the full length sizing die decided it was supposed to release the case when the ram was lowered. I sent the die back with sized cases and a case puller made up of miscellaneous parts and pieces found in most shops and hardware stores.

Different puller, I do not turn the bolt to pull, I use a nut on the bolt, this allows for straight pulling. He never trusted the dies, he did keep them for back-up.

“I've tried several cases, both dies (until the RCBS decided it wanted to keep the case, busted rim and all) in both Co-Ax and A2 presses”

The A2 RCBS is a cam over press. When, for what ever reason the die decides to keep the case, be kind to the press, rotate the shell holder to enable removal of the shell holder from the ram and case at the same time. Rather than allow this stuff to drive me into the curb I turn the die upside down then screw it into the press from the bottom, because I am the fan of securing the die to the press with the lock ring, I secure the die to the press with the lock ring ‘from the bottom’. First, get the primer punch/sizer plug out of the way by raising it to the top of the die, we all know the sizer plug can not be pulled through the neck of the case if the neck of the case is being sized.

F. Guffey

Page generated in 0.04446 seconds with 8 queries