View Single Post
Old August 14, 2006, 02:20 AM   #1
nunoste

Lots of lessons in the video...sound off

I just ran into this video.

http://www.yikers.com/video_hillbill...d_on_them.html

I am not 100% on its authenticity, but its nonetheless a good lesson. A couple of bullies drive behind a guy and his girlfriend and harrass them. The guy in the BMW is clearly not intimidated, which in my estimation would usually be enough to scare the bullies away. (Which makes me question the authenticity). But the bullies don't look too bright either, so they follow the guy to a dead end. When they stop, one bully goes to the back of his truck and fishes out a bat and the other bully is filming the whole thing. When the bully walks up to the man in the BMW he is armed and points the gun at the guy with the bat. The two bullies magically turn into bunny rabbits. The guys girlfriend takes the camera and films the two bullies and they drive off with the video camera and the keys to the bully's truck.

No gore, no violence. I would like to get some comments and lessons learned here. For me, I travel with an unloaded levergun in my trunk. In this scenario, I'm not too sure I would have enough time to run to the back and load a round and then defend myself, while loading more rounds, talking to the bullies, etc. I guess I would try to get as much distance from the guys and then once I saw it was a dead end, I would turn the car around and point the trunk of the car towards the dead end, so I could go back to the trunk and have some cover. It would also buy me some time. The way my trunk is set up, I can have access to my rifle and have a round in the pipe within 15 seconds. Looking at this video, I'm not sure 15 seconds is fast enough. Plus, I would probably be with my family, so that would complicate things. Overall, I think I'd try calling 911 on my cell phone before it got to that, but by the looks of the video, its possible they couldn't get cell service. I just drove across the country and there are large pockets of space where we couldnt get any cell service.

This guy kinda looks LEO or seems to have had some training. He is talking to and pointing the gun at the main threat, while scanning the other guy. He orders the guy to put the camera down and step away. He is pretty calm, too. However, I think he allows the guy with the bat to get too close to him initially, although he regains ground. Overall, I think this guy did a great job protecting himself and his girlfriend.

If it were up to me, I'd do what this guy did and travel with a firearm in the glovebox or on my hip for just these scenarios. However, I live in California, and this state isn't too keen on my protecting myself.

Page generated in 0.03620 seconds with 8 queries