Thread: bullet weight?
View Single Post
Old February 22, 2013, 04:45 AM   #3
Mike / Tx

What I learned with my 10mm was that as long as your in the load range, the tiny bit above or below the noted weight of the bullet isn't going to be noticeable unless your shooting from a ransom rest. Most loads are going to have a variance to them regardless of how tight you tolerances are. Granted weighing every thing out to the last 100th of a grain will lesson that, but then you still ahve things like the shooter, which is the biggest issue. Then there is things like barrel fouling, powder residue, and other little things that will all add up to cause shot to shot variations in the loads.

My favorite load uses the 180gr Speer Gold Dot, but the 180gr Winchester bulk JHP's which range around what your talking about or more in weight, shoot just as good and have actually turned in a few tighter groups through the years. That said, when I am on my game I can easily shoot 2" or so groups with it at 50yds rested with either.

Bottom line is the powder your running will usually have more influence over the pistol than the tiny variations in bullet weight will. Stick with the slower powders like AA-9 or similar for the 180's and up and you should hit some good loads pretty quick.

Page generated in 0.03750 seconds with 8 queries