View Single Post
Old November 12, 2011, 03:48 PM   #15
GI Sandv

MN Permit

I feel sorry for all the people who are sitting and waiting on applications. However, I applied for my MN permit (MN resident) and it took them the better part of the 30 allotted days to get mine to me. I don't think they're back-logged, just not fans of armed citizens, at least here in Ramsey County (St. Paul).

I was pleased with the new WI law and was more pleased that, travelling to WI on the 2nd of November, I was legally able to carry my weapon because of my MN resident permit. Of course, I'm still trying to figure out how to travel with my gun in Illinois. The best I could figure that someone from out of state could do with a handgun while travelling in or through Illinois is to break it down, lock it up, and keep it out of reach in your vehicle. The Illinois Attorney General's website lists these provisions as the appropriate way for out-of-state hunters to carry their weapons. However, they do not mention anything about an out-of-stater transporting a handgun. I figured that, given the Heller v. Chicago decision, they can't entirely prevent someone from out of state from transporting a weapon, but they can govern how that person is to transport it. Of course, avoiding getting pulled over and then having a police officer notice a locked gun case is probably the best option. But, does anyone from Illinois who knows more about the laws know of any instances where an out of state gun owner was challenged for transporting in this way? Given that an out of state gun owner can't get a FOID, I'm not sure what the alternative would be.

Kahr PM9, Springfiled XD9, Browning BPS 12Ga., Browning SA-22.

Page generated in 0.03276 seconds with 8 queries