View Single Post
Old July 4, 2011, 10:21 AM   #6
hermannr

I have experienced mental health issues with people close to me, and I would like to point out a few things to consider.

One person in question: Female, 53 at the time, depression. Dr. gave SSRI type medication which she reacted to in an unpublished strange manner. (developed Catatonia, unable to speak or move voluntarily). Neurologist stated to me that he saw about 10% of his patients react to SSRI's in this manner (but it is not published as a possible side effect) (hospitalized for 14 days, and yes, in the psyc ward)

Anyway, they changed the med to another type of anti-depressant, and she had a different reaction...but almost as bad. Anyway, the medications were removed and within 3 months she was back to normal.

So, the question is: is this a "mental problem"? or is it a alergic "medication problem?" Does not matter as per the ATF, 14 days in a Psyc ward for any reason and you cannot own firearms.

If you read the warning labels on most anti-depressants you will say "may cause thoughts of suicide". So is a prescription drug induced suicide attempt "a danger to society"? (attempted suicide will also get you 14 days in the mental ward) How about other "mental" problems caused by a drug? (prescription or otherwise)

How about the guy that had a brain tumor that was certifiable "criminally insane" until they removed the tumor, (he committed murder), but totally normal after the tumor was removed. Or even Lyme disease can affect the brain. (and it is also cureable)

Just like "Domestic Violence", I do not think "one size fits all" with mental health issues. Are there DV and MH issues that should cause the ofender to be restricted from access to weapons (not just firearms)...yes, probably so, perminently? no so sure.

Page generated in 0.05054 seconds with 8 queries