View Single Post
Old April 4, 2005, 06:41 PM   #2
klw

Interesting Question

For most of my adult life I collected reloading equipment. I particularly like complete reloaders, Jordans, Potters, Hollywoods and progressives. One day someone offered to buy all this and I sold. Had my fun and got my money back.

I did, however, want to keep a couple machines, one for volume reloading and one for small batches of very high accuracy stuff. For the latter I settled on the currently available Lyman turret and the new RCBS automatic powder system.

The Lyman turret is, in my opinion, the best turret available particularly if you want to loktite your dies in place in the turret head and then just change heads to change calibers. I've got a total of 50 heads for mine.

I tried the RCBS turret and it is ok but I prefer the Lyman.

I've also tried several of the automatic powder systems and quite a few powder measures. Though a Harrell powder measure is hard to beat, I'm ABSOLUTELY POSITIVE that the new RCBS Range Master Combo is SUBSTANTIALLY BETTER. I'm REAL sure about this because I'm using both now and with Green Dot at least about once every hundred rounds or so the Harrell will give you one very small charge followed by one very large one. It isn't the powder measure's fault as much as the powder's ability to clump but, well, this is a problem that the RCBS doesn't have.

I've used other fully automatic powder systems. This is better unit. Overly complicated because of all the "features" but it is well worth the money.

I'm going to continue to use my Harrell but I'm going to use it in conjunction with Lyman's new 1500 XP electronic reloading scale. I've finally decided that if I'm going to use a powder measure that I'm also going to weigh every single charge. This particular Lyman has a built in powder trickler which will make correcting undercharges easier. Lyman has not started shipping this unit yet.

Page generated in 0.02385 seconds with 8 queries