View Single Post
Old March 24, 2000, 08:34 PM   #4
Banzai

A firm taper crimp, assuming all other elements of your loads are ok, should solve your problem. A taper crimp usually fixes problems like this, if and only if everything else is on par with your load manual.
Here's a simple test, turn a loaded cartridge upside down, push on the bullet on your work bench and see if you can push it deeper into the case. If you can, you've got a neck tension problem. Neck tension is what holds the bullet in the case, and it's this friction fit that you're currently relying on to establish a "Pressure Floor". This is the pressure point where the bullet begins to slide from the case and enter the forcing cone of the barrel. To keep this uniform, and high enough to maintain pressure to keep all the powder burning, the tension must be proper. Sounds like yours is too low, which can lead to dangerous pressure spikes in the extreme cases. In slight cases, you get what you've got, sandblasted by burned/unburned powder.
Sometimes, you have to adjust your sizing dies deeper to more fully size the round, and pay particular attention to the upper area, to make sure that it's sizing to the proper diameter.
Next, make sure that you're not over flaring the case mouth when bullet seating. This will aid in weakening the brass over the long run, and will wear out the neck area FAST. Flare only enough to get the bullet heel to stay in the case as you raise the ram.
Next, a firm taper crimp will help "Post Size" the round that you just loaded. Not only will this help in cartridge feeding, but will even out any small irregularities in each round in respect to case diameter. You'll notice a definate difference, especially in your 9mm rounds.
I recommend the dies fom Lee for your post loading taper crimp. Doing this in a seperate operation from bullet seating goes a long way to making a higher quality round. Use about 2/3 to 1 full turn for best results, copper jacket or lead bullets.
I reload about 1000 9mm and 40 each week, without any problems.
I've tried other brands of crimp dies, but I always come back to Lee. Carbide, great waranty, and only $15.

Tom

------------------
A "Miss" is the ultimate overpenetration!
You can never be too rich, too skinny, or too well armed!

Page generated in 0.03057 seconds with 8 queries