View Single Post
Old July 22, 2013, 06:48 AM   #5
Magnum Wheel Man

took out 2 rifles this last Sunday for some testing... the Remington 700 heavy barrel 223, wearing a vintage 8X Redfield ( sorry KRAIG, or anyone that may have caught this rifle in previous threads, as I was thinking it was a 6X ) 4th rifle on left side ( above pic )... I was shooting some older factory 50 grain hollow points... did a 5 shot "quick" group ( 30 seconds or less ) that measured 3/4" at 100 yards & then performed the box test... I had one shot that was off about 1/2" but since I ended up where I started, the 1/2" may have been my fault ???

Redfield 8X scope

Condition... obviously used, but also not abused...

Clarity optics are reasonably clear, the parallax adjustment has a locking ring, was able to focus with & without my glasses on

Function... this scope was already on the rifle, assuming it was sighted in was correct, minor adjustments needed for these 50 grain bullets... turrets are not resettable, & there is no audible or felt clicks... box test went "ok" final shot ended up where it was supposed to, but after moving the scope right, I noticed that shot went 1/2" higher than the previous shot ( may have been the shooter, rather than the scope )BTW... the turret adjustments ( not marked ) worked out to 1/2" adjustment per line

Repeatability... box test ended up where it was supposed to be, 5 shot "quick" group ( 30 seconds or less ) netted a 3/4" group with factory ammo, & the group was at correct point of impact following the box test

Final thoughts, thumbs up or down... I'm actually thinking about how much I like the turrets resettable to zero, after playing with the new Vortex, so the earlier reviewed 4-12X & this straight 8X while both are good functional scopes, I'll likely send this 8X down the road, or move it to a vintage rifle, & move the 4-12X Redfield to a more hunting type rifle... when shooting variable distance targets, it's really nice to have turrets set to zero at a starting distance

Vortex 6-18X Crossfire scope

review later or move to a different rifle

the other rifle was a Remington 700 in 22-250, with a new Vortex Crossfire 6 - 18X... I have a bunch of handloads inherited from my FIL in 22-250 & have 2 rifles in that caliber, this Remy, & one custom... I'd suspect that these reloads were done up for the custom rifle in 22-250, as they were tight in the chamber, & they did not group well, with a "quick" group measuring 2.5"... this rifle was wearing the new Vortex scope, I had hoped to wring out, which optically was pretty nice... I tried to do a box test, but I think the group size foiled my attempts, as I went 10 clicks 1/4", & got 2 shots in the same hole... I'll look for either some factory ammo, or another load, in my supply, to see if I can find something that shoots better groups, to re-run the box test on my new scope... another possibility, is that the throat is getting shot out on this barrel... so the next goal here, is to see if I can find a load that groups good enough to test the scope... or if the chamber throat is suspect

Last edited by Magnum Wheel Man; July 22, 2013 at 01:18 PM.

Page generated in 0.03663 seconds with 8 queries