View Single Post
Old August 23, 2005, 01:57 AM   #20
xenophobe

Quote:
There was a time when zeiss were the people to measure against but that was a long time ago, they are still good but certainly not that much better than the other europeans.
Zeiss was the first to coat optical lenses in the mid 30's. Schmitt & Bender's secret lens coatings are proprietary to either Zeiss or Nikon... No if's and's or butts there.... The one thing S&B has going for it is all the scopes are handcrafted, but so are the Zeiss Diavari line.

Zeiss is STILL one of the "Big Three" and their FL series binoculars are rated the best in the world, bar none. I still prefer my Leica Ultravids, but that's personal preference in this quality range.

To think they're not in the game anymore is quite misinformed to say the least.

Please name the top producers of glass in the world if Zeiss isn't one of them....

Quote:
The most telling thing is that zeiss ans swarovsky make everything from ornaments to binoculars, Schmidt and Bender make nothing but rifle scopes.
Zeiss and Swarovski are companies that have been around long before S&B was even a thought. Zeiss makes surgical microscopes... how much more serious is that compared to just a rifle scope? Perhaps you should browse their website to see just how technically competent Zeiss STILL is to this day. S&B is a small niche market manufacturer.

S&B most likely make their lenses with glass made by Schott Glass Works, a subsidary of the Zeiss Foundation.

Quote:
Also the Us and UK secial forces and snipers all used S&B scopes because their lives depend on it, need I say more.
No, but that doesn't necessarily make them the best. Hendsolt and Zeiss Jena have produced countless more German Snipers with their scopes. Other companies like US Optics and Leupold offer some high end scopes that are just as reliable and rugged. Out of all the products in the field, S&B probably have the smallest segment.

Quote:
I have 9 S&B scopes, 2x 4-16b x 50, 2 x 2.5-10x 56, 1x 8x 56, 2x 3-12 x 50, 2x 6x 42. I have owned some of the for 15 yrs now and have never had to think about them. I have also fitted and reroed then in 3 -4 shots no more. Finally they are the only scopes that have an idicator so you can return to centre at any time.
A nice feature, but resetting to mechanical zero is a feature that isn't really necessary.

Page generated in 0.03129 seconds with 8 queries