View Single Post
Old January 7, 2011, 09:38 AM   #1
Joey V.

Brenneke KO Slugs From a Rifled Barrel Range Report

I thought you all might find this helpful???

I have a Mossberg 500 rifled ported barrel without the cantilever scope mount so i shoot iron sights. Now being the end of the season I decided to freeze my butt off at the range and do a lil testing of rifled slugs from this rifled barrel not sabots. Much to my expectation the rifled slugs lead up the barrel real fast and destroy my accuracy. In addition, I found lead shaving sticking out of the ports on my barrel so the ports are acting like a cheese grater effect, I think. Much to my surprise this is a very accurate slug out of the rifled barrel for the first 5 shots. I was shooting a clover leaf group at 50 yrds from the bench rest and a lead sled for the first 4 rounds and then the fifth round landed about 1 inch high. That could have been me but all the rest of my rounds started to climb after the 5th. I think I had leaded the barrel so badly I was building up pressure causing the climb. I did take a couple of shots at 100yrds just to see what would happen and I had about a 6 inch group. For me that is unacceptable but my Pittsburgh PA hunting distance is about 50 yards anyway.

What I am going to do is clean the bore after every 4 rounds with lead solvent and shoot in this gun "clean" like I do with all of my rifles. I hate dirty sight-ins.... My hope / thought is it will shoot like a dream provided I keep it clean and will not have to pay $15 buck for 5 sabots!

I keep thinking why do I want to do this anyway?? Once the thing is sighted in the cost is not an issue. I am not going to plink with this at the range only fire a round or two each yr to insure I am sighted in and then maybe 2 to 3 rounds during the season....

Page generated in 0.03659 seconds with 8 queries