View Single Post
Old January 25, 2011, 02:17 PM   #1
bedbugbilly

A little Tombstone, AZ history - the hanging scaffold

I know this is a gun forum but I also know a lot of you fellas enjoy "Western History" - so . . . I thought I'd post this little article which was in today's edition of the ARIZONA DAILY STAR (Tueday, January 25, 2010.

"In this year leading up to Arizona's centennial, on Feb. 14, 2012, we'll reprint a story or excerpt each day from the Arizona Daily Star or Tucson Citizen archives.

"Jan. 25, 1912

TOMBSTONE - The historic scaffold which has been stored in the county courtyard adjoining the courthouse is no more. The last of it was cut up to furnish kindling for the fire of the county jail. The scaffold was built in the early part of the year 1884 by C.J. Ulmer, who at present is a resident of Yuma. It was ordered built by the board of supervisors for the purpose of the hanging of the five Bisbee murderers and was built so as to accomodate them all at once.

It was used on the 27th of March, 1884, at which time Dan Dowd, James Delaney, Tex Howard, Red Sample and J. Kely were hung, the trap being sprung by sheriff Ward. It was then stored away and kept until Nov. 16, 1900, when it was erected under the direction of sheriff Scott White and was used for the execution of William and Thomas Halderman, who were convicted of the murder of constable Ainsworth in the Swisshelm mountains the month of June 1899.

The scaffold was erected twice for service since that time but was never used.

- Tucson Citizen"
If a pair of '51 Navies were good enough for Billy Hickok, then a single Navy on my right hip is good enough for me . . . besides . . . I'm probably only half as good as he was anyways. Hiram's Rangers Badge #63

Page generated in 0.03282 seconds with 8 queries