View Single Post
Old April 18, 2008, 07:26 AM   #4
Sevens

I agree mostly with both comments however, if they denoted the use of a magnum primer, you would be best served to use a magnum primer as well. It doesn't have to be the same brand.

Now if it lists a non-magnum primer, you need to use more caution if you substitute a magnum primer in it's place as you can raise pressures.

The idea behind keeping track of what brass, primer, trim length and overall length is for repeatability. If you work up a load with say, Federal primers and you can get it to shoot half minute of angle, you shouldn't expect to turn out a box of ammo with the same powder, charge, length, but a Remington primer and automatically have it shoot just as well.

To further that line of thinking, you need to be careful introducing new components when you are at or near a maximum published load. You may build a load with Federal primers that's a max and shoots well without showing signs of excess pressure, but you should not then substitute some other brand of primer without reducing that load and working back up. That's a dangerous activity and could get you in to trouble.

If you find yourself a load recipe that gives you the velocity you require without seeing signs of excess pressure and it also shoots accurately, that's when you go buy 5,000 or 10,000 of those primers! (well, maybe overkill, but the way prices are going, not a bad idea!)

Page generated in 0.03217 seconds with 8 queries