Thread: Dies for .223
View Single Post
Old April 18, 2005, 08:37 PM   #4
Bob - S.C.

cgpro865, without knowing your needs or desires for accuracy I would offer this information. I shoot for accuracy, and after a lot of research, I decided on the RCBS competition die set for my 5.56 NATO (.223) rifles. Other mfg. also offer similiar types of dies sets, but I my personal preference was RCBS. The bullet seating die has a micrometer seating die head and you can set it for any depth you desire. The bullets are loaded into the die fron a side window on top of a floating bullet seater which makes loading a small bullet very easy and precise. Much better than trying to balance the small bullet on the top of a cartridge and hope it is seated correctly. If you are shooting 40 grain bullets, you will certainly find differences between brands due to the shape and length of the bullet. Even within the same brand, you will find slight differences in bullet length but for the most part, you can seat to .001". Should you decide to change bullet weight or brand, the die can be very easily adjusted to accomodate different bullet shape and length. I also decided on the Hornady LNL bushing adptor which makes changing dies as easy as a one second time frame going from sizing/decaping to bullet seating die without changing any die dementions. Depending on which AR I am loading for, I use Nosler, Hornady, and Sierra bullets and can easily reset the micormeter head to accomodate each brand. No mistake, these competition die sets are not cheap, but if you want consistancy from your reloading, I think they are worth the extra money. Hope this helps.

Page generated in 0.03514 seconds with 8 queries