View Single Post
Old December 27, 2013, 01:28 AM   #9
Powderman

Hm. A couple of observations...

First, the .308 Winchester is a good caliber. It will most definitely do the job. However--if you are primarily looking at close range targets--300 yards and in--consider a rifle chambered in 5.56 NATO. Loaded with appropriate bullets, the little bullet can deliver outstanding terminal ballistics.

That being said....

Most of the guns you mentioned are built on the AR platform. I have nothing against the AR platform--indeed, I love the things, in every shape size and configuration. However, the rifles built on this design do have a few drawbacks:

1. Difficult to keep clean if you shoot a lot.
2. They like to be run WET. Good amounts of lube.
3. You CAN achieve very good accuracy--but in order to do it, you're going to have to jump through a few hoops. A off the shelf barrel--or a rifle that is mass produced--will more than likely not give you the accuracy that you want.

Barrel length is really not a problem; you can have one built to your specs, but you're going to be out just a bit more money.

If you're going to buy ONE rifle, and ONE only, I'd say chuck it--and get yourself a full sized Springfield Armory M1A loaded model. Next, drop a bit of coin and put it in a Sage EBR chassis. Stock up on some good magazines from Check Mate--OEM contractor for military magazines--and get a good three point sling. Choose your optics, and with proper ammo (and a 1-10" twist barrel), you'll have that 1000 yard rifle.

However, if you want to combine the best of both worlds, look up the Colt 901 rifle. I think you'll like it.

Page generated in 0.02477 seconds with 8 queries