Old December 24, 2012, 03:00 AM   #195
Spats McGee
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by therealdeal
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spats McGee
B: There is no gun show loophole.
yes, there is. you can call or name it anything you want. you can disagree with it also, but it does exist. someone who would never even attempt to buy a gun at a gunstore would seek a gunshow if he had malicious intentions. Private sales many times are with people who know you or with someone who knows someone who knows you. What I am getting at, is private sales are different then the gunshow loophole in my opinion. gunshow loophole law would heavily cutdown on guns getting in the wrong people's hands.
"Loophole" implies that there is some unintended wrinkle in the language of the law that allows some people to "slip past" the requirements of the law. What has been held out in the media is the notion that if you bought a gun at a gun show, somehow, no background checks were required. That's just not the case.

The rules for transactions with an FFL remain the same, whether you buy a gun from the FFL at the brick-and-mortar store, on Uncle Frank's farm, or at a gun show. If you buy from a private individual, then you go by private individual rules, whether you buy in the individual's garage, out on a farm, or at the gun show. Whether you're buying at a gun show or not is irrelevant.

It sounds like you have some other understanding of the "gun show loophole," & I'd be curious to know what it is. What is this "gun show loophole law" of which you speak, what would it do, and how would it cut down on guns in the wrong hands?

Claims that "we should close the gun show loophole" are kind of like saying: (1) The speed limit is 30; (2) Lots of people drive 50+ on the interstate; therefore; (3) we should close the "interstate loophole."

Page generated in 0.02509 seconds with 8 queries