View Single Post
Old August 20, 2011, 12:26 PM   #55
wilson133

Wow, this argument is a everlasting and as much fun as .45 vs 9mm or 1911 vs Glock.
The only time I am going to use deadly force is if I feel that I have no choice. Been there, they ran back out the door, and nobody got shot. This is an optimal outcome.
If I have to shoot, it will be to stop an attacker asap and I will not use marginal equipment. No pistol comes anywhere near a shotgun or rifle for stopping deadly problems. Pistols are for when you have to carry concealed. I carry pistols everyday but I don't have any Hollywood illusions about them.
Rather than relying on what Granpappy told you or the guy in the gun store told you or what a cop told you, check out the actual facts. Google is your friend, there is plenty of video and pictures available showing how effective bird shot is and the answer is that it is marginal.
Most of the time bad guys will run at the sight of a gun, so anything will work. In most of the remaining shots fired with get them running whether you hit them or not, anything, including bird shot will work here also. If you need to stop a determined attacker bird shot may or it may not work, I don't want to find that out.
Unless you live in a very rural area, slugs are not worth the risk. Every bullet has a lawyer attached and slugs going through the neighborhood is way too exciting for me. At home defense distances buckshot is a far better stopper.
If you are worried about your walls use airsoft, bird shot will tear up drywall, again google it for demonstrations.
The only effective round that has low penetration is 5.56, preferably with varment loads, but they won't work in my shotgun.

Page generated in 0.02439 seconds with 8 queries